The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that AMP Ltd subsidiary Australian Financial Planning Solutions Pty Ltd has been fined (12 January 2015) A$10,200 for making false or misleading representations in an article that appeared on its website in 2014.
According to ASIC, the article, which was titled "Benefits of a self-managed super fund":
- "contained misleading and unsubstantiated claims that major retail and industry superannuation funds will experience payout difficulties"; and
- "misrepresented the taxation implications of self-managed superannuation funds (SMSF), by giving the impression that certain tax benefits only apply to SMSFs, when they actually apply to most superannuation funds".
ASIC's media release (12 March 2015)
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that it has fined the following financial services providers for making potentially misleading representations to consumers:
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that Macquarie Equities Limited (MEL) is to "begin writing to current and former clients about possible remediation for flawed financial advice" provided by MEL's financial adviser network Macquarie Private Wealth.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has made available the following infringement notices (both dated 9 July 2014) issued to whitegoods and electronic devices rental business Make it Mine Finance (MIM) following ASIC's concerns regarding "misleading misrepresentations" on MIM's website:
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that discount supermarket ALDI Australia (Aldi) has "undertaken to improve signage and other point-of-sale communication about the disclosure of credit card surcharges in its supermarkets".
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has made available documents setting out additional licence conditions imposed on the following Commonwealth Bank of Australia Group (CBA) entities (both undated).
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that it concluded an "enhanced adviser monitoring program" for Australian financial services licensee Professional Investment Services Pty Ltd (PIS).
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that it accepted an enforceable undertaking (6 February 2013) (the EU) offered by the Royal Bank of Scotland plc and the Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. (collectively, RBS) in relation to potential misconduct involving Australian benchmark interest rate the Bank Bill Swap Rate (BBSW).
The Federal Court of Australia (FCA) has handed down its decision in Australian Securities and Investments Commission v GE Capital Finance Australia, in the matter of GE Capital Finance Australia  FCA 701 (1 July 2014). According to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the FCA has fined consumer credit provider GE Capital Finance Australia (GE Money) A$1.5 million for "making false or misleading representations to more than 700,000 of its credit card customers".
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Group (CBA) has made available a statement (3 July 2014) by its chief executive officer Ian Narev announcing a program to provide remediation for customers who suffered financial loss as a result of "[p]oor advice provided by some of [CBA's financial advisers] between 2003 [and] 2012".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (37)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (41)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (16)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)