The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that an Idaho-based cheese manufacturer will pay US$91,352 to settle breaches of chemical accident prevention regulations under the Clean Air Act.
The United States (US) Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), in its capacity as conservator of the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae) and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac), has announced that financial services firm UBS Americas Inc (UBS) has agreed to pay a total of US$885 million to settle allegations that it breached "federal and state securities laws in connection with private-label residential mortgage-backed securities purchased by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac".
The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that Prudent Technologies Inc (Prudent) has agreed to pay a US$65,450 civil penalty after it carried out unsafe renovation activities at lead-contaminated sites under a contract with the EPA's national hazardous waste clean up program, Superfund.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that one interstate hospital network and one Georgia-based hospital have agreed to pay US$8 million to settle false Medicare claims allegations.
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made available its Prepared Statement (17 July 2013) before the US Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection (the Committee) for the Committee's inquiry titled Shining a Light on the Consumer Debt Industry.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that the recent decision in FTC v. Actavis is "an important victory for consumers and a vindication of basic antitrust and free market principles" because the Supreme Court ruled that pay-for-delay agreements are subject to rule of reason scrutiny. The ruling also confirmed that illegal pay-for-delay agreements are detrimental to consumers and are likely to prevent companies from entering into anti-competitive agreements.
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay US$22.9 million to cease a lawsuit carried out by investors who claimed the company concealed quality-control failures, which culminated in a large-scale recall of children's medicines.
The United States (US) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has announced that it has "significantly increased transparency in mortgage-backed securities issued by [the US Federal National Mortgage Association], [the US Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation] and [the US Government National Mortgage Association], as well as in securities backed by loans guaranteed by the US Small Business Administration [SBA]".
The United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has put Wall Street banks and other large traders on notice for a possible investigation of their metals warehousing businesses following extensive complaints about inflated prices.
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that it brought charges against hedge fund adviser Steven Cohen for failing reasonably to provide supervision of portfolio managers Mathew Martoma and Michael Steinberg, with a view to prevent their insider trading under his watch, which has cost their firm over US$615 million.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (9)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (33)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (1)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (0)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (4)
- Privacy & Data Protection (14)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)