The United States Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has made available an order (7 July 2014) (the Order) approving an agreement (attached to the Order) under which Arizona Public Service Company (APS) is to pay a US$3.25 million civil penalty and meet compliance requirements to resolve regulators' investigations into APS's involvement in the 2011 blackout that affected approximately five million individuals in the US Southwest.
The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the US Attorney's Office (USAO) for the Northern District of Georgia has announced that two former executives of infant and children's clothing company Carter's and a New York-based hedge fund manager have been sentenced to imprisonment for insider trading offences involving Carter's stock.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPCC) published Insurance company overhauls its security safeguards following privacy breach (3 March 2014) on 2 July 2014, a report of findings under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that RE/MAX Allegiance Relocation Services (RE/MAX) has agreed to pay US$509,000 to settle allegations that it breached the False Claims Act by overcharging the government under "contracts to transport [the] personal property of federal employees relocating duty stations within [the US] and between [the US] and Canada".
The United States Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has announced that it has issued Rhino Eastern 38 citations for health and safety breaches at a coal mine in West Virginia.
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that retailer Walgreens has agreed to pay former cashier Josefina Hernandez US$180,000 to settle disability discrimination charges filed by the EEOC. According to the EEOC, Ms Hernandez, a diabetic, was fired after almost 18 years' of employment with no disciplinary record when she "ate a [US]$1.39 bag of chips during a hypoglycemic attack in order to stabilize her blood sugar level".
The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has announced that the OAG and hire vehicle-locating service provider Uber Technologies have reached an agreement (8 July 2014) under which the company is to limit the hire prices offered through its service during periods of abnormal market disruption, such as in emergencies or natural disasters.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that SunTrust Mortgage (SunTrust) has agreed to make payments to resolve a criminal investigation of the company's administration of its services provided under the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), a US federal loan modification program for homeowners facing possible foreclosure.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPCC) published Wearable Computing - Challenges and opportunities for privacy protection (undated), a report by the OPCC research group, on 3 July 2014. The report aims to "provide the OPCC with a better understanding of the privacy implications of wearable computing technologies[,] as a foundation for the OPCC's advice to Parliament, policy position development and future compliance activities".
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPCC) published Utility company errs in sending customer's bill to his ex-spouse after computer system uses out-of-date information (February 2014) on 7 July 2014. The document summarises a case involving a utility company's early resolution of a customer's privacy complaint.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (36)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (39)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)