The United States Environmental Protection Agency has announced that Ford Motor Company (Ford) is revising the fuel economy estimates for six of its models and has agreed to correct its fuel economy labels for affected vehicles within 15 days. According to the EPA, Ford identified errors in its estimates during an internal review.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has reached a settlement (9 June 2014) with Advert Marketing Inc and its operators Scott Dalrymple and Robert Wence that resolves FTC charges alleging that the defendants sent millions of unwanted text messages to consumers in the US.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made available an order (11 June 2014) settling allegations (4 December 2013) that Lin Miao and seven companies "pitched text message services offering alerts [for celebrity news and trivia], but placed charges for these services - typically [US]$9.99 a month - on consumers' bills without their permission" in a practice known as mobile cramming; and "used deceptive websites designed to collect consumers' mobile phone numbers that would then be billed for the services".
Two among seven private equity businesses have agreed to settle allegations that the businesses conspired not to outbid one another for the takeovers of eight companies that were executed for a total of more than US$100 billion.
The United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has made available an order (16 June 2014) under which hedge fund advisory firm Paradigm Capital Management and owner Candace Weir have agreed to pay US$2.2 million to settle charges that they "engag[ed] in prohibited principal transactions and then retaliat[ed] against the employee who reported the [prohibited] trading activity to the SEC". The case is the first to be filed under the SEC's "new authority to bring anti-retaliation enforcement actions".
The United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has announced that the US District Court has ordered (9 June 2014) New York City-based commodity pool operator SK Madison Commodities and its principals Michael Seward and Yan Kaziyev to pay restitution and fines totaling more than US$3.5 million and permanently banning them from the industry.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made available a proposed settlement agreement (9 June 2014), which requires supplement marketers i-Health, Inc and Martek Biosciences Corporation to desist from claiming that certain products prevent cognitive decline or improve memory unless those claims are truthful or supported by human clinical testing.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has published Data Brokers - A Call for Transparency and Accountability (May 2014), a report resulting from an FTC study of nine data brokers "to shed light on the data broker industry". The overall finding of the report is that "data brokers operate with a fundamental lack of transparency".
TransCanada Corporation (TransCanada) has made available its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility Report (undated). The report is structured around ten focus areas, including ethical conduct, health and safety, protecting communities, environmental protection and Aboriginal, Native American and Indigenous peoples.
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that SPOA, LLC and Marathos, LLC, which run a number of Basta Pasta restaurants, have agreed to pay US$200,000 to settle sexual harassment charges, and will additionally provide further "significant" equitable relief.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (36)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (39)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)