The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Electrolux Home Products has agreed to pay US$750,000 to settle allegations that it "knowingly failed to [immediately] report ... a safety hazard associated with certain wall ovens sold to consumers".
The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York has found Royal Bank of Scotland Group unit RBS NV liable for copyright infringement in its use of a piece of software produced by Complex Systems. Reportedly, Judge Katherine Forrest found that RBS NV's licence to use the software was attached to an RBS NV sub-unit and that RBS NV transferred the licence to Bank of America (BofA) when it sold the sub-unit to BofA in 2007.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available No Company or Individual is "Too Big to Jail" (5 May 2014), a video recording of a speech by Attorney General Eric Holder in which he states that "no individual or company, no matter how large or how profitable, is above the law".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that the New York Stock Exchange, two affiliated exchanges and an affiliated routing broker have agreed to pay US$4.5 million to settle charges that they failed to comply with SEC-approved exchange rules and US federal securities laws.
Online television and film subscription service Netflix has met with the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to express its concerns regarding the regulation of online data flows. Reportedly, the discussions have taken place since Netflix agreed to pay fees to certain internet service providers in order to secure the delivery of their online video streams across those providers' networks.
The United States (US) Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that grocery store franchise Fred Meyer is to pay seven workers a total of US$487,500 and provide them with further relief to settle sexual harassment charges.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that five companies and two individuals have paid a total of almost US$1.9 million to settle allegations that they "misrepresent[ed] their disadvantaged small business status in connection with military construction contracts".
The United States (US) Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (the Office) has announced that the US District Court has sentenced SAC Capital Advisors and other entities associated with affiliated hedge funds known collectively as the SAC Hedge Fund, after they pleaded guilty to insider trading.
Bank of America (BofA) has announced that it has reached an agreement with the following United States (US) regulators to "resolve issues related to the marketing and sale of credit card debt cancellation products and billing of identity theft protection products, including those marketed and billed by its vendors":
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available the testimony (8 April 2014) of Attorney General Eric Holder before the House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary. Mr Holder discusses, among other things, the emergence of virtual currencies such as Bitcoin, commenting that they "pose challenges for law enforcement given the appeal they have among those seeking to conceal illegal activity".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)