The United States Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has released Report on Conflicts of Interest (October 2013), which follows a FINRA review of the broker-dealer industry and its conflicts management practices. The report "emphasizes that firms should do more to manage and mitigate conflicts of interest in their businesses".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that brothers Rodrigo and Michel Terpins have agreed to pay approximately US$5 million to settle an insider trading complaint.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that a jury has convicted former project manager Gordon McDonald for "his central role in conspiracies that spanned seven years and involved kickbacks...at two Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Superfund sites in New Jersey".
The Illinois Legislative Information System has made available a proposed amendment (the document) to Illinois House Bill 380 filed by 117th District Representative John Bradley on 27 September 2013. The document proposes to provide certain taxation concessions to an "agricultural process[or]" under certain conditions, including that the agricultural processor maintain its corporate headquarters (HQ) in Illinois.
The United States (US) Department of Labor (DoL) has urged the mining industry to "step up its compliance with safety and health regulations" following three underground mine fatalities in as many days in early October 2013.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that it has filed a proposed settlement of allegations that Chevy Chase Bank breached the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act by charging "elevated prices on mortgage loans made to African-American and Hispanic borrowers".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has made available an Order (30 September 2013) determining a whistleblower award claim following a successful SEC enforcement action.
The United States (US) Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that Colorado-based moving and storage company Mesa Systems Inc (Mesa) has agreed to settle a national origin discrimination suit by paying US$450,000 and furnishing other relief in the largest-ever such settlement achieved by the EEOC in the US state of Utah.
Wells Fargo & Company (Wells Fargo) has announced that it has reached a US$780 million settlement with the United States (US) Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac) to substantially resolve "all repurchase liabilities related to loans sold to Freddie Mac prior to [1 January 2009]".
The United States (US) Department of Labor (DoL) has announced that DoL administrative law Judge Linda Chapman has ordered Bank of America (BoA) to pay US$2,181,593 in back-pay and interest to 1,147 African American job applicants for its "race-based hiring discrimination at [a] Charlotte facility".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (36)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)