The United States (US) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ordered (16 May 2014) telecommunications company Sprint to pay a record penalty of US$7.5 million to resolve FCC investigations that Sprint "failed to capture" some consumers' preference to not receive marketing calls or text messages.
Wal-Mart has settled litigation brought by the families that survived 23 people among a total of 180 persons who either fell ill or died from exposure to listeria bacteria after eating cantaloupe sold at Wal-Mart retail outlets. Reportedly, the fruit had been grown at a farm where federal food safety regulators found the fruit-washing process to be inadequate.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved settlements with motor vehicle manufacturer Nissan North America (Nissan) and advertising agency TBWA Worldwide in relation to a television commercial that used special effects to depict a Nissan truck model performing a task that in actual fact it is unable to perform.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that former Subway restaurant franchise owner Shahin Abdollahi has pleaded guilty "for his role in a conspiracy to hack into the computerized cash registers of a number of Subway restaurants to fraudulently obtain more than [US]$40,000 in gift cards".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that Lawson Software co-chairperson Richard Lawson, together with his brother William Lawson and friend John Cerullo have agreed to pay approximately US$5.8 million to settle insider trading charges. According to the SEC, Mr William Lawson and Mr Cerullo acted on non-public information received by Mr Richard Lawson by selling a total of approximately 1.175 million shares in Lawson Software amid public speculation that the company would be sold to one of multiple bidders.
The United States (US) Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that athletic apparel retailer Just Sneakers is to pay a former employee US$18,000 as part of a disability discrimination lawsuit settlement. According to the EEOC, Just Sneakers is alleged to have terminated the employment of returned serviceperson Kyle Dalton in his role as a sales clerk because of his blindness, which was suffered during his army service.
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that online mortgage product promoter GoLoansOnline.com is to pay US$250,000 to settle charges that a number of its advertisements deceived consumers as to the mortgages' terms.
Kellogg Company (Kellogg's) has agreed to pay more than US$5 million and to amend product labels to settle a class action challenging a number of the company's "all natural" claims for some of its products.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Electrolux Home Products has agreed to pay US$750,000 to settle allegations that it "knowingly failed to [immediately] report ... a safety hazard associated with certain wall ovens sold to consumers".
The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York has found Royal Bank of Scotland Group unit RBS NV liable for copyright infringement in its use of a piece of software produced by Complex Systems. Reportedly, Judge Katherine Forrest found that RBS NV's licence to use the software was attached to an RBS NV sub-unit and that RBS NV transferred the licence to Bank of America (BofA) when it sold the sub-unit to BofA in 2007.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (36)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (39)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)