The United Stated (US) Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has announced that it has issued an order "filing and simultaneously settling charges against FCStone LLC [FCStone]", a futures commission merchant (FCM), for "failing to diligently supervise its officers and employees relating to its business as an FCM in violation of Commission Regulation 166.3, 17 CFR § 166.3 (2008)".
The United States (US) Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has unanimously held that terminating a woman's employment because she is lactating constitutes unlawful sex discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act 1964 (US) (as amended by the Pregnancy Discrimination Act 1978 (US)).
The United States (US) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has announced fines totalling US$2.15 million for Wells Fargo, LLC, and Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated, and ordered the firms to pay over US$3 million in restitution to customers for "losses incurred from unsuitable sales of floating-rate bank loan funds".
The cancer patient-supporting charity founded by former cyclist Lance Armstrong, the LIVESTRONG Foundation (Livestrong), has announced the dissolution of its ties with key supporter Nike Inc (Nike), following a string of developments since the United States (US) Anti-Doping Agency permanently banned Mr Armstrong from the sport.
The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has made a preliminary ruling that Air Canada increase its compensation offers for passengers who are refused departure due to overbooking.
Papa John's Pizza chairperson John Schnatter has released a social media statement (27 May 2013) apologising for "reprehensible language used by two former employees". According to Reuters, the apology follows an incident in which a delivery staff member unintentionally pocket dialed a customer whose voicemail captured a conversation between the staff member and his co-worker including racist terms and other offensive speech.
The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that Wal-Mart Stores Inc (Wal-Mart) has pleaded guilty to "six counts of [breach]ing the Clean Water Act by illegally handling and disposing of hazardous materials at its retail stores across the [US]" and to "[breach]ing the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act ... by failing to properly handle pesticides that had been returned by customers at its stores across the [US]".
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) in the United States (US) Department of Justice has announced that four individuals have been found guilty of conspiracy to launder drug proceeds through an operation involving the purchase, training, breeding and racing of horses. The DEA stated that a jury convicted Jose Trevino Morales, the brother of the leaders of the Los Zetas drug cartel, Mexican businessperson Francisco Colorado Cessa, horse trainer and purchasing agent Fernando Solis Garcia and horse trainer Eusevio Maldonado Huitron.
Reuters reports that it has gained access to a letter addressed to investors from SAC Capital Advisors (SAC) that states the hedge fund will no longer cooperate "unconditionally" with a United States (US) Government investigation into alleged insider trading by current and former SAC employees.
United States vehicle safety regulator the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has told a US Senate committee hearing that the interconnected electronics systems increasingly found in new vehicles has presented a new front for the regulator, especially in terms of protecting consumers against "car hacking".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (9)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (33)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (1)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (0)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (4)
- Privacy & Data Protection (14)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)