The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that Kentucky-based AK Steel Corporation (AK Steel) is to pay federal and state authorities a total of US$1.65 million to resolve allegations that it breached laws including the Clean Air Act (US) (further information) at an Ashland facility used for AK Steel's production processes.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that RPM International Inc and building materials manufacturing subsidiary Tremco Inc (Tremco) have paid the federal government US$60.9 million to settle allegations that Tremco overcharged on its roofing supplies and services contracts with the government.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Mississippi-based laboratory operator and owner Tennie White has been sentenced to 40 months in prison for "lying to federal investigators" and "faking laboratory testing results".
The government of Canadian province British Columbia (BC) has announced that Powerex has agreed to pay a number of parties, including the Attorney General and utility companies of the United States (US) state of California (CA), US$273 million as part of a settlement to resolve claims related to the 2000-01 CA energy crisis "that resulted in rolling blackouts and record-high electricity prices".
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that Florida-based cheque authorisation service company Certegy Check Services Inc (Certegy) is to pay US$3.5 million in what FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection senior attorney Lesley Fair says is "the second-largest civil penalty ever in [a Fair Credit Reporting Act] case". The FTC stated that the settlement follows the FTC's first action alleging breaches of the Furnisher Rule that commenced in 2010.
The United States (US) Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have released Business Continuity Planning (undated), a staff advisory on "business continuity and disaster recovery planning" that follows a review conducted by regulators of the impacts of Hurricane Sandy on business.
The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that fuel distributing company Wondrack Distributing Inc's (Wondrack) has settled allegations that it exhibited various failures in implementing its oil spill prevention plan for a facility in Washington state.
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has made available the Consent (16 August 2013) of hedge fund adviser Philip Falcone and his firm Harbinger Capital Partners (Harbinger) to admit to and pay a total of over US$18 million to settle allegations of misconduct in connection with two funds.
The United States Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) has released Proposed Auditing Standards (13 August 2013) for public comment. The PCAOB stated that the proposals "would retain the pass/fail model in the existing auditor's report, but would provide additional information to investors and other financial statement users about the audit and the auditor".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (36)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)