The Twitter account of news agency Associated Press (AP) was hijacked by hackers and made to post a false report about explosions in the White House on 23 April 2013, reports Reuters. The post was quickly confirmed as "bogus" by an AP spokesperson, according to Reuters. A group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army reportedly claimed responsibility for the AP hack.
The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that it has settled with Beef Products Inc (BPI) in relation to alleged Clean Air Act breaches at an Iowa facility. According to EPA, the facility released "anhydrous ammonia into a production area occupied by BPI workers" in 2007, which resulted in the "permanent disability of one worker and the death of [another]".
Facebook and the United States National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) have jointly launched Safety and Privacy on Facebook, a consumer education campaign which aims to encourage Facebook users to understand and implement privacy controls on their social networking accounts.
The United States (US) Department of Labor (DoL) has announced that a Phoenix District Court judge has ordered by consent judgment that DS Waters of America Inc (DS Waters) reinstate a delivery driver who had taken leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act 1993 (the FMLA), as well as to provide the driver with US$26,871 in back-pay and US$31,464 for out-of-pocket medical expenses under the FMLA.
The United States (US) Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs (the Committee) has made available the witness testimony given at its hearing Outsourcing Accountability? Examining the Role of Independent Consultants on 11 April 2013.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that California based biotechnology company Amgen Inc (Amgen) has agreed to pay US$24.9 million to settle claims that it paid kickbacks to three pharmacy providers in return for implementing "'therapeutic interchange' programs that were designed to switch Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries from a competitor drug to [chronic kidney failure-related anaemia treatment product Aranesp]".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has made available a transcript of SEC commissioner Luis Aguilar's speech Outmanned and Outgunned: Fighting on Behalf of Investors Despite Efforts to Weaken Investor Protections (16 April 2013), delivered to the North American Securities Administrators Association at the annual NASAA/SEC 19(d) Conference in Washington DC.
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made available the FTC Highlights: April 2012 - March 2013 (updated 12 April 2013), which summarise the FTC's initiatives in areas including:
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved final orders against nine companies charged with spying on consumers using computers that the consumers were renting.
Unilever Group (Unilever) has announced a reduction of over one million tonnes in carbon dioxide emissions from its factories and logistics operations since 2008. According to Unilever, the reduction is "equivalent to taking 250,000 cars off the road". Unilever manufacturing sustainability director John Maguire highlighted Unilever's commitment to the use of sustainable energy sources where possible, and stated that "100% of the electrical energy [Unilever] buy[s] in Europe and North America comes from renewable sources".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (9)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (33)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (1)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (0)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (4)
- Privacy & Data Protection (14)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)