Read this whitepaper to gain insights into:
- understanding the five steps to designing a thorough and effective, yet practical, conflicts of interest policy
- training all levels of staff and management
- deploying disclosure questionnaires to increase transparency
- reporting that engages senior management and the Board
- improving business ethics over the long term
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has announced that it has formally warned 39 telecommunications service providers (undated) for their first-time breaches of cll. 9.3.1(a) (Customer Information Compliance Statement) and 9.4.1(a) (Compliance Attestation) of the Telecommunications Consumer Protections Code (2012) (the TCP Code).
The United Kingdom Cabinet Office (CO) and Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) have jointly announced the release by the CO and national social enterprise organisation Social Enterprise UK of research showing that British consumers are "concerned about where and how they buy products and services".
The Federal Court of Australia (FCA) has handed down its judgment in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Safe Breast Imaging Pty Ltd (No 2)  FCA 998 (16 September 2014). According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), the FCA has fined Safe Breast Imaging Pty Ltd (SBI) and its sole director Joanne Firth A$200,000 and A$20,000 respectively in relation to false representations made by SBI in breach of Schedule 2 (The Australian Consumer Law) to the Competition and Consumer Act (2010) 1974 No. 51 (Cth).
The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs in the United States Department of Labor (OFCCP) has announced that Great Plains Coca-Cola Bottling has agreed to pay US$475,000 in back wages and interest to settle allegations that it "unfairly rejected [1,293 qualified female job seekers] for merchandiser, driver, driver trainee, production and warehouse positions at the company's bottling and distribution facility".
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that Famous Chicken of Shreveport has agreed to pay US$25,000 and provide other relief to settle charges that the Popeye's Chicken franchisee "unlawfully den[ied] employment to an HIV-positive applicant because of his disability at a Longview, Texas [Popeye's Chicken] location".
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that Holly Manor Center Nursing Home (Holly Manor) is to pay US$75,000 and provide other relief to settle charges that it "unlawfully rescind[ed] a job offer to an applicant because he is deaf".
Australia-based not-for-profit organisation the Diversity Council Australia (DCA) has called on employers to reduce the gender pay gap by supporting parents to manage family responsibilities alongside paid work, in light of its recent investigation of the impact of motherhood on women's wages. The DCA found that "[r]aising children accounts for a 17% loss in lifetime wages for women", and that while the immediate wage-penalty effect following childbirth can be partly explained by the fact that 84% of Australian women work part time when their child is under two years of age, analysis suggests that "the wage penalty emerges over time through reduced wage growth".
CVS Health has announced that it ceased the sale of tobacco from its retail pharmacy business on 3 September 2014 in support of "the health and well-being of its patients and customers".
The United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that it has awarded (29 August 2014) US$300,000 to a company employee who "reported wrongdoing to the SEC after the company failed to take action when the employee reported it internally". The SEC has highlighted that the award is the first for "a whistleblower with an audit or compliance function at a company".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)