The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that Australian and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ANZ) has responded to certain ASIC concerns for consumer protection by:
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made available a Stipulated Final Order (filed 10 March 2014) that settles the FTC's Complaint (10 March 2014) that Versatile Marketing Solutions Inc (VMS) and VMS officer Jasjit Gotra "illegally called millions of consumers on the FTC's [National Do Not Call Registry (the DNC Registry)] to pitch home security systems".
Kellogg Company (Kellogg's) has replaced its "Mini-Wheats 5 Grain" breakfast cereal product in Australia with new, similarly packaged products that contain up to 66% more sugar.
The United States (US) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has announced that it has fined the following firms for failures relating to supervision and recordkeeping:
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available Attorney General Eric Holder's remarks (19 March 2014) announcing a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (19 March 2014) under which Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) is to pay a US$1.2 billion financial penalty and admit that it "misled US consumers by concealing and making deceptive statements about two safety issues affecting its vehicles, each of which caused a type of unintended acceleration". Mr Holder says that Toyota "by [its] own admission ... protected its brand ahead of its own customers".
The Department of Commerce (DoC) of the Australian state of Western Australia (WA) has announced that solar company Total Action Pty Ltd and its director Charles Posselt have been fined a total of A$18,000 for "misleading a consumer regarding the warranty on a product, and for breaching unsolicited trading laws".
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved an Order (10 March 2014) that settles charges that rent-to-own retailer Aaron's Inc (Aaron's) "knowingly played a direct and vital role in its franchisees' installation and use of software on rental computers that secretly monitored consumers, including taking webcam pictures of them in their homes".
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) have released reports regarding a data breach which saw the information of 15,775 customers of telecommunications services provider Telstra becoming accessible online between February 2012 and May 2013:
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced that the Federal Court of Australia has handed down its decision in Telstra Corporation Limited v Vocus Fibre Pty Ltd  FCA 198 (12 March 2014), dismissing an application by Australia's largest telecommunications provider Telstra that sought judicial review of the ACCC's jurisdiction to arbitrate disputes notified under the Telecommunications Act 1997 No. 47 (Cth).
Italy's competition regulator Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato (AGCM) has announced that it has fined the two pharmaceutical businesses a total of more than €180 million for "collud[ing] to exclude [the ophthalmic product] Avastin ... and channel demand towards the much more expensive [product] Lucentis, through an artificial distinction between the two products".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)