The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved settlements with motor vehicle manufacturer Nissan North America (Nissan) and advertising agency TBWA Worldwide in relation to a television commercial that used special effects to depict a Nissan truck model performing a task that in actual fact it is unable to perform.
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that online mortgage product promoter GoLoansOnline.com is to pay US$250,000 to settle charges that a number of its advertisements deceived consumers as to the mortgages' terms.
Kellogg Company (Kellogg's) has agreed to pay more than US$5 million and to amend product labels to settle a class action challenging a number of the company's "all natural" claims for some of its products.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Electrolux Home Products has agreed to pay US$750,000 to settle allegations that it "knowingly failed to [immediately] report ... a safety hazard associated with certain wall ovens sold to consumers".
Beverage companies Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have announced their plans to phase out the use of brominated vegetable oil (BVO) in all their products that are sold in the United States (US). According to AP, the announcements follow an online campaign spearheaded by US resident Sarah Kavanagh who was concerned that BVO has been patented as a flame retardant and is banned from being added to foods in the European Union and in Japan.
The United States (US) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has announced that it has fined financial services provider Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Morgan Stanley Wealth Management) US$5 million for supervisory failures related to the solicitation of retail customers to invest in initial public offerings (IPOs), including the high profile IPOs of Facebook and Yelp.
The Financial Markets Authority (FMA) has announced that the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 No. 69 (NZ) (the Act) is beginning to generate a positive cultural shift in the New Zealand financial services sector.
The European Commission (the Commission) has announced it's decision that Motorola Mobility's (Motorola) injunction application against Apple based on a smartphone standard essential patent (SEP) constituted an abuse of dominant position. The Commission found that since Motorola had committed to license its SEP on "fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory" (FRAND) terms, and where Apple had agreed to take a licence and be bound by FRAND terms, it was abusive for Motorola to both seek and enforce an injunction against Apple in such circumstances.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has made available the following infringement notices (both dated 3 March 2014) issued under the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 No. 51 (Cth) against financial services company Wealth Within for misleading online advertisements:
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced that the Federal Court of Australia has handed down its decision in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Startel Communication Co Pty Ltd  FCA 352 (8 April 2014), fining Startel Communication (Startel) a total of A$320,000 for "misleading consumers about their rights under [Schedule 2 (The Australian Consumer Law) (the ACL) to the Competition and Consumer Act (2010) 1974 No. 51 (Cth)] when cold calling consumers to sell mobile phone plans".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (37)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (41)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (16)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)