The United States (US) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that Anadarko Petroleum Corp (Anadarko), Anadarko subsidiary Kerr-McGee Corp (Kerr-McGee) and Kerr-McGee affiliates have agreed to pay US$5.15 billion, including approximately US$4.4 billion to fund environmental clean-up activities and for environmental claims, to settle a fraudulent conveyance case.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved Decision and Order (3 April 2014), which "settl[es] charges that [NEW Plastics Corp (NEW)] ... misled consumers and distributors about the recycled content, post-consumer recycled content, and recyclability of its products".
Tobacco company Philip Morris International (PMI) has released its Progress Report 2013 - Agricultural Labor Practices (undated), which details PMI's progress in implementing its agricultural labour practices (ALP) program, launched in 2011, that aims to "progressively eliminate child labor and other labor abuses found on all farms where [PMI] source[s] tobacco".
The Council of the European Union (EU) has announced that the Committee of Permanent Representatives has endorsed an agreement between the Hellenic Presidency of the Council and European Parliament representatives on a draft directive for the disclosure of non-financial and diversity information by certain large public interest entities in the EU with over 500 employees. The draft directive would require such companies to disclose, annually, a statement of policies, outcomes and risks relating to environmental, social and employee-related matters including a description of its diversity policy, respect for human rights, anti-corruption and bribery matters. Where the company has not pursued such policies, it must explain why.
Oxfam International (Oxfam) has released its Company Scorecard, which provides Oxfam's first annual assessment of the social and environmental policies of the ten biggest food and beverage companies worldwide since February 2013. According to Oxfam, nine of the ten companies improved their scores with the top three performers being Nestle, Unilever and Coca-Cola, all of which had policies addressing "issues like hunger, poverty, women's rights, land grabs and climate change in their supply chains". General Mills made no improvements in its policies and was ranked last, while Associated British Foods (ABF), Kellogg, Danone, Mars, Mondelez and PepsiCo were all marked as slow improvers in 2013.
Levi Strauss & Co (Levi Strauss) has modified certain parts of its denim jeans production processes so that they use recycled water rather than fresh water.
General Electric (GE) has announced that it has committed to the following as part of its ecomagination initiative to develop "technology solutions that save money and reduce environmental impact for [GE] customers and operations":
Kellogg Company (Kellogg) has announced a global commitment to require all its suppliers to source palm oil that is "environmentally responsible, socially beneficial, and economically viable", by the end of 2015.
United States (US)-based fast food restaurant chain Chick-fil-A Inc (Chick-fil-A) has announced a five-year-long plan to ensure that all chicken served in its restaurants across the US is sourced entirely from poultry raised without antibiotics.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (36)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)