Scotland's prosecution service the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) has announced that SW Global Resourcing has pleaded guilty to "a breach of [the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 c. 37 (UK)] which resulted in the death of an employee at [a water viaduct] in 2010".
The New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has announced that Maruia Springs Thermal Resort has "agreed to pay wages to employees it did not pay during work trials". According to the MBIE, the business:
The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs in the United States Department of Labor (OFCCP) has announced that Great Plains Coca-Cola Bottling has agreed to pay US$475,000 in back wages and interest to settle allegations that it "unfairly rejected [1,293 qualified female job seekers] for merchandiser, driver, driver trainee, production and warehouse positions at the company's bottling and distribution facility".
The Australian Office of the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) has made available the following enforcement-related media releases:
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that Famous Chicken of Shreveport has agreed to pay US$25,000 and provide other relief to settle charges that the Popeye's Chicken franchisee "unlawfully den[ied] employment to an HIV-positive applicant because of his disability at a Longview, Texas [Popeye's Chicken] location".
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has announced that Holly Manor Center Nursing Home (Holly Manor) is to pay US$75,000 and provide other relief to settle charges that it "unlawfully rescind[ed] a job offer to an applicant because he is deaf".
The United Kingdom Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) has published Employer guide - time off to accompany a pregnant woman to ante-natal appointments (September 2014), advising that "[f]rom 1 October 2014, ... the partner of a pregnant woman ... will be entitled to take unpaid time off work to attend antenatal appointments with their partner".
Australia-based not-for-profit organisation the Diversity Council Australia (DCA) has called on employers to reduce the gender pay gap by supporting parents to manage family responsibilities alongside paid work, in light of its recent investigation of the impact of motherhood on women's wages. The DCA found that "[r]aising children accounts for a 17% loss in lifetime wages for women", and that while the immediate wage-penalty effect following childbirth can be partly explained by the fact that 84% of Australian women work part time when their child is under two years of age, analysis suggests that "the wage penalty emerges over time through reduced wage growth".
The Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA) of the Australian state of Victoria has advised that Pasta Al Dente (Aust) (PAD) has been fined A$50,000 after pleading guilty to one charge of failing, so far as was reasonably practicable, to provide and maintain a plant that was safe and without risks to health.
The Australian Office of the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) has released its Final Report on the Proactive Compliance Deed between Red Rooster Foods Pty Ltd and the Fair Work Ombudsman (July 2014). The report outlines the results of the FWO's proactive compliance deed (the Deed) with fast food chain Red Rooster Foods Pty Ltd (Red Rooster) that was signed in 2012 after the FWO found instances of Red Rooster employees being underpaid.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)