The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advised that Student Loans Company Limited (SLCL) has signed an undertaking (undated) to comply with the seventh data protection principle, following three separate incidents involving the disclosure of documents containing sensitive customer information, including medical details and a psychological assessment, to the incorrect people.
The Data Inspection Board (DIB) has made available Personal Information In Social Media (May 2014 - Swedish language version available only), a guide detailing the requirements under data protection law imposed upon organisations that use social media such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Flickr and Pinterest.
The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has handed down its judgment in C-539/12 Z.J.R. Lock v British Gas Trading Limited (22 May 2014). According to the CJEU, its judgment finds, with reference to Directive 2003/88/EC (the Working Time Directive), that "[w]here [a salesperson] is paid commission calculated on the basis of the sales that [the salesperson] make[s], that commission must also be included in the calculation of [the salesperson's] holiday pay".
The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has fined (23 May 2014) Barclays Bank more than £26 million for failings in its systems and controls and its management of potential conflicts of interests between itself and its customers during 2004 - 2013.
The United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has published Protecting personal data in online services: learning from the mistakes of others (May 2014), a report that highlights the following "most common IT security vulnerabilities that have resulted in organisations failing to keep people's information secure":
The United Kingdom (UK) economic and finance ministry HM Treasury has issued a call for evidence (6 May 2014) in a review of "the institutional arrangements and processes [that] the [UK] financial services regulators use to make enforcement decisions". According to HM Treasury, the review "continues the [UK] [G]overnment's focus on strengthening accountability in the financial services industry" and follows in particular the government's actions to protect the integrity of the setting of the benchmark interest rate known as LIBOR and its legislating to redress the issue of banks becoming entities that are "too big to fail".
The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has banned (29 April 2014) former UBS trader John Hughes from the financial services industry under s. 56 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 c. 8 for "failings related to US$2.3 billion [in] unauthorised trading losses by another trader [Kweku Adoboli]".
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has stated that it is investigating the circumstances of the sending out of an email by Virgin Media that allowed "individuals to reply to all of the other customers who received the same email by clicking on the 'reply all' response" and whether it constitutes a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 c. 29 (UK).
The European Commission (EC) and International Labour Organization (ILO) have announced a new agreement to strengthen ties in the area of occupational safety and health at a conference on working conditions in Brussels on 28 April 2014.
The European Commission (EC) has released the following documents that aim to reform corporate governance:
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (36)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (39)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)