The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has announced that it has issued final notices to the following entities (both dated 16 June 2014), fining them for "failing to ensure [that] financial promotions for [Credit Suisse International's (Credit Suisse)] Cliquet Product were clear, fair and not misleading":
The European Commission (EC) has welcomed the General Court of the European Union's judgment in T-286/09 Intel Corp. v Commission (12 June 2014), upholding the €1.06 billion fine imposed by the EC on Intel in 2009 for the company having abused its dominant position in the x86-type central processing unit (x86 CPU) market during 2002 - 2007.
Domino's France has acknowledged that the personal data of 592,000 French and 58,000 Belgian patrons of the Domino's franchise have been stolen, with hacker group Rex Mundi demanding a ransom of €30,000 for data including names, addresses, online account login details and favourite pizza toppings.
Belgian Judge Michel Claise has launched an investigation into Switzerland-based bank UBS over allegations of money laundering and organised crime. According to M... Belgique, a number of UBS employees are alleged to have encouraged some Belgian taxpayers to open undeclared bank accounts in Switzerland before arranging for them the transfer of large sums of money to Switzerland.
The United Kingdom Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) has launched a Cyber Essentials Scheme, which is aimed at highlighting security controls that will help organisations mitigate the risk to their IT systems from internet-based threats. The scheme also provides organisations with guidance on implementation and offers independent certification.
The Clean Clothes Campaign has made available Stitched Up: Poverty Wages for Garment Workers in Eastern Europe and Turkey - 2014 Report (undated). The report details the working conditions and wages of garment workers in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine.
Several protesters were ejected from security firm G4S's annual general meeting (AGM) held in London on 5 June 2014. G4S chief executive Ashley Almanza reportedly stated that the protesters, who had accused the company of failing to act ethically under its contracts to transport prisoners and supply security equipment, were "[shown] due care and attention", and that their removal from the meeting was not violent.
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advised that Student Loans Company Limited (SLCL) has signed an undertaking (undated) to comply with the seventh data protection principle, following three separate incidents involving the disclosure of documents containing sensitive customer information, including medical details and a psychological assessment, to the incorrect people.
The Data Inspection Board (DIB) has made available Personal Information In Social Media (May 2014 - Swedish language version available only), a guide detailing the requirements under data protection law imposed upon organisations that use social media such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Flickr and Pinterest.
The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has handed down its judgment in C-539/12 Z.J.R. Lock v British Gas Trading Limited (22 May 2014). According to the CJEU, its judgment finds, with reference to Directive 2003/88/EC (the Working Time Directive), that "[w]here [a salesperson] is paid commission calculated on the basis of the sales that [the salesperson] make[s], that commission must also be included in the calculation of [the salesperson's] holiday pay".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (37)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (40)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (16)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)