The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) and a number of other US federal and state agencies have announced a record US$13 billion settlement with bank JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPMorgan). The DoJ states that the settlement is the largest ever with a single entity in US history and resolves "[US] federal and state civil claims arising out of the packaging, marketing, sale and issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) by JPMorgan, Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual" during and prior to the global financial crisis.
The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has made available the following recent speeches by FCA chief executive Martin Wheatley that examine the investment regulation landscape with reference to ethics, conduct and culture:
The United Kingdom National Audit Office (NAO) has released its memorandum The Ministry of Justice's electronic monitoring contracts (19 November 2013), which sets out the UK Ministry of Justice's (MoJ) decision to commission an independent forensic audit of its electronic monitoring contracts with the firms G4S and Serco.
Australian Small Business Minister Bruce Billson has announced a number of actions that the federal government will take in response to the findings (July 2013) of a Commonwealth Consumer Affairs Advisory Council (CCAAC) study on credit card surcharges and non-transparent transaction fees.
The United States (US) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has announced that it has fined two firms a total of US$1.825 million for "failing to report or accurately report certain large options positions and for related supervisory deficiencies".
Japan-based Mizuho Financial Group Inc (MHFG) has announced the retirement of its managing director, its executive officer and its subsidiary Mizuho Bank Ltd's (Mizuho) chairperson, and numerous penalties for MHFG and Mizuho senior management personnel and executive officers following its receipt of the findings of an independent investigation into Mizuho's lending practices in relation to organised crime syndicates known as yakuza and referred to as "anti-social forces" or "elements".
The United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced settlements with three investment advisory firms regarding their breaches of securities law arising from failures to rectify compliance problems identified by the SEC.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that UBS Securities Australia Ltd (UBS) has paid a A$50,000 penalty for "conduct which resulted in a market for a put option not being both fair and orderly", after its designated trading representative entered an incorrect price for a trade.
Netherlands-based bank Rabobank Group (Rabobank) has announced that it has reached settlements with Dutch central bank De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB), the Dutch public prosecutor Openbaar Ministerie (OM), the Japan Financial Services Authority (FSA), the United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the United States (US) Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the US Department of Justice (DoJ) that include financial penalties totaling €774 million.
United States (US)-based bank JPMorgan Chase & Co (JP) is negotiating a settlement with the US Department of Justice (DoJ), the US Federal Housing Finance Agency and the office of the New York state attorney general in relation to JP's alleged mis-selling of mortgage-backed securities in the lead up to the financial crisis.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (9)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (33)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (1)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (0)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (4)
- Privacy & Data Protection (14)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)