The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that former Subway restaurant franchise owner Shahin Abdollahi has pleaded guilty "for his role in a conspiracy to hack into the computerized cash registers of a number of Subway restaurants to fraudulently obtain more than [US]$40,000 in gift cards".
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ), the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (USAO SDNY) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) have jointly announced that Switzerland-based asset management group Swisspartners has agreed to pay US$4.4 million and enter into a non-prosecution agreement with the USAO SDNY to resolve criminal charges of "assisting US taxpayer-clients in opening and maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts".
South Korea-based major web portal operator Naver is expected to be suspended from foreign exchange (FX) business for three months for allegedly failing to properly submit reports on its FX transactions. Reportedly, the Financial Supervisory Service will finalise the suspension at its next regular meeting and alleges that Naver has wrongfully traded an estimated total of KRW280 billion (approximately €200 million/US$274 million).
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has announced that the Declaration on Automatic Exchange of Information in Tax Matters (undated) has been signed by all 34 OECD member countries as well as a further 13 countries and was adopted on 6 May 2014.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available No Company or Individual is "Too Big to Jail" (5 May 2014), a video recording of a speech by Attorney General Eric Holder in which he states that "no individual or company, no matter how large or how profitable, is above the law".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that the New York Stock Exchange, two affiliated exchanges and an affiliated routing broker have agreed to pay US$4.5 million to settle charges that they failed to comply with SEC-approved exchange rules and US federal securities laws.
The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has banned (29 April 2014) former UBS trader John Hughes from the financial services industry under s. 56 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 c. 8 for "failings related to US$2.3 billion [in] unauthorised trading losses by another trader [Kweku Adoboli]".
The Financial Markets Authority (FMA) has announced that the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 No. 69 (NZ) (the Act) is beginning to generate a positive cultural shift in the New Zealand financial services sector.
Non-bank lender Pepper Australia Pty Ltd (Pepper), supported by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) and the National Australia Bank (NAB), has issued $500 million worth of "non-conforming" home loans, namely residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) issued to customers with poor credit records or demanding repayment ratios. Reportedly, the issue is Australia's biggest since the global financial crisis and offered investors different tranches of debt, with those with a lower credit rating attracting a higher return for the investor.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has issued the following enforcement-related media releases:
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)