The Italian Data Protection Authority (DPA) has advised that Google has paid a €1 million fine that was imposed by the DPA in December 2013 in relation to the illegal collection of personal data in 2010 for Google's "Street View" service. According to the DPA, the matter specifically relates to Google's use of unmarked vehicles throughout Italy to capture street-side images for publication on the online Street View service, which resulted in various privacy-related complaints being lodged with the DPA.
The United States (US) District Court for the Western District of Louisiana has ordered Japan-based Takeda Pharmaceutical Co (Takeda) and US-based Takeda partner Eli Lilly & Co (Lilly) to pay US$6 billion and US$3 billion in punitive damages, respectively, after a jury found that the companies sought to cover up cancer risks associated with their diabetes medicine "Actos".
The United States (US) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has made available a letter (8 April 2014) in which NHTSA advises General Motors (GM) legal staff that GM "has not fully responded" to Special Order (4 March 2014) and therefore has been accruing civil penalties on a daily basis since 3 April 2014.
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved Decision and Order (25 March 2014), which "resolv[es] FTC allegations that [Apple Inc (Apple)] unfairly charged consumers for in-app purchases incurred by children without their parents' consent".
The European Commission (EC) has announced that it has handed down more than €301.6 million in fines after finding that "11 producers of underground and submarine high voltage power cables operated a cartel" between 1999 and 2009.
Bloomberg reports that Hewlett-Packard Company (HP) has agreed to pay US$57 million to settle a suit that alleges the company's management defrauded shareholders in its handling of company strategy in 2011.
Microsoft has made available a statement (28 March 2014) by its legal and corporate affairs executive vice president Brad Smith responding to recent news coverage of a 2012 case in which Microsoft investigators accessed the emails of a Microsoft-branded webmail user who "was trafficking in stolen Microsoft source code".
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman's remarks (20 March 2014) as prepared for delivery at the Global Anti-corruption Congress that was held in Washington DC on 20 - 21 March 2014.
The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has announced that it has fined general insurance broker Besso £315,000 for failing to effectively manage risks of bribery and corruption.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Swiss national Andreas Bachmann has "pleaded guilty today to conspiring to defraud the [US] Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in connection with his work as a banking and investment adviser for US customers".
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (36)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)