The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) has announced that Pound Road Medical Centre has been found in breach of the Privacy Act 1988 No. 119 (Cth) by "failing to take reasonable steps to secure sensitive medical records".
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPCC) published Insurance company overhauls its security safeguards following privacy breach (3 March 2014) on 2 July 2014, a report of findings under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPCC) published Wearable Computing - Challenges and opportunities for privacy protection (undated), a report by the OPCC research group, on 3 July 2014. The report aims to "provide the OPCC with a better understanding of the privacy implications of wearable computing technologies[,] as a foundation for the OPCC's advice to Parliament, policy position development and future compliance activities".
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPCC) published Utility company errs in sending customer's bill to his ex-spouse after computer system uses out-of-date information (February 2014) on 7 July 2014. The document summarises a case involving a utility company's early resolution of a customer's privacy complaint.
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) has released Own motion investigation report - Cupid Media Pty Ltd (June 2014), which outlines the findings of Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim's own motion investigation into Cupid Media Pty Ltd (Cupid), after the personal information of Cupid users was stolen by hackers gaining unauthorised access to Cupid webservers.
Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg has commented on the social network service provider's role in a recently published study that examined the transfer of emotional states by "reducing the amount of emotional content in [Facebook users' view of their friends' content]" (further information).
Goldman Sachs Group (GS) has filed a complaint in a New York state court against Google after a GS contractor accidentally emailed "highly confidential brokerage account information" to a stranger's account with Google's webmail service Gmail. Reportedly, the contractor sent a report to a "gmail.com" account when it was intended for a "gs.com" account.
The United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has issued marketing company DC Marketing Limited (DC) an enforcement notice (10 June 2014) under the Data Protection Act 1998 c. 29 (UK) after DC made hundreds of marketing calls to consumers that had either registered with the Telephone Preference Service or had previously directly opted-out of receiving marketing calls from DC.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has reached a settlement (9 June 2014) with Advert Marketing Inc and its operators Scott Dalrymple and Robert Wence that resolves FTC charges alleging that the defendants sent millions of unwanted text messages to consumers in the US.
Domino's France has acknowledged that the personal data of 592,000 French and 58,000 Belgian patrons of the Domino's franchise have been stolen, with hacker group Rex Mundi demanding a ransom of €30,000 for data including names, addresses, online account login details and favourite pizza toppings.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)