The Italian Data Protection Authority (DPA) has advised that Google has paid a €1 million fine that was imposed by the DPA in December 2013 in relation to the illegal collection of personal data in 2010 for Google's "Street View" service. According to the DPA, the matter specifically relates to Google's use of unmarked vehicles throughout Italy to capture street-side images for publication on the online Street View service, which resulted in various privacy-related complaints being lodged with the DPA.
The United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has made available the following documents (both dated 1 April 2014) from its enforcement action against home improvement company Amber UPVC Fabrications (Amber Windows), which made at least 524 unsolicited marketing calls between May 2011 and April 2013 to people who had registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), in breach of The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 No. 2426:
Microsoft has made available a statement (28 March 2014) by its legal and corporate affairs executive vice president Brad Smith responding to recent news coverage of a 2012 case in which Microsoft investigators accessed the emails of a Microsoft-branded webmail user who "was trafficking in stolen Microsoft source code".
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that it has approved an Order (10 March 2014) that settles charges that rent-to-own retailer Aaron's Inc (Aaron's) "knowingly played a direct and vital role in its franchisees' installation and use of software on rental computers that secretly monitored consumers, including taking webcam pictures of them in their homes".
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) have released reports regarding a data breach which saw the information of 15,775 customers of telecommunications services provider Telstra becoming accessible online between February 2012 and May 2013:
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have jointly published the following documents (both undated) on how background checks may be performed for employment purposes:
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has released Consumer Sentinel Network Data Book for January - December 2013 (February 2014), which provides an overview of the complaints received by the FTC in 2013. The FTC received over 2 million complaints during the calendar year 2013, of which 55% related to fraud, 14% related to identity theft and 31% related to other types. Identity theft was the number one complaint category, 30% of which were tax- or wage-related.
United Kingdom (UK)-based bank Barclays has advised (9 February 2014) that it has notified regulators including the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) of a consumer data breach that "appears to be criminal action". According to Daily Mail, the files on at least 2,000 Barclays customers have been leaked, as evidenced by portable data storage device handed to the Daily Mail's offices by an anonymous informant.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available DoJ criminal division Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman's testimony (4 February 2014) before the US Senate Committee on the Judiciary (the Committee) for its hearing on Privacy in the Digital Age: Preventing Data Breaches and Combating Cybercrime.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (36)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)