The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced that the creator of a top-selling flashlight app for Android operating system mobile devices has agreed to settle FTC charges that it "deceived consumers about how their geolocation information would be shared with advertising networks and other third parties".
The United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has announced that a former finances manager of a general practitioner's (GP) surgery has pleaded guilty in the Magistrates' Court to charges of breaching s. 55 (Unlawful obtaining etc. of personal data) of the Data Protection Act 1998 (UK).
Maryland state Attorney General Douglas Gansler has announced that Maryland, 36 other United States (US) states and the District of Columbia have entered into a US$17 million settlement with Google, following the company's breach of consumer protection and privacy law by placing advertising tracking cookies on Safari web browsers despite telling users that it would honour the default Safari privacy settings, which prevented the placement of such cookies, from 1 June 2011 to 15 February 2012. Mr Gansler stated that the settlement "requires Google to change its privacy practices and to pay Maryland ... more than [US]$1 million as a civil penalty".
The Regional Court of Berlin in Germany has ruled that 25 provisions in Google's general data-use terms unlawfully limit user rights and breach German law.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) has made available Regulating in Rapidly Changing Times, a transcript of remarks delivered by OPC commissioner Jennifer Stoddart at the Community of Federal Regulators National Workshop on 4 November 2013.
Google Inc (Google) has announced that it has amended its terms of service to allow users' "[p]rofile name, [p]rofile photo, and actions [they] take on Google or on third-party applications" to be used in "reviews, advertising and other commercial contexts".
The United Kingdom (UK) Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has made available guidance (undated) for organisations on ensuring that their data protection policies account for workers' use of personal mobile devices such as smartphones for work purposes.
The United Kingdom (UK) Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advised that the City of London Magistrates Court has convicted First Financial (FF) and its sole director Hamed Shabani under ss. 17 and 61 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (UK) respectively for failing to register that FF was processing personal information.
The United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has made available a Monetary Penalty Notice (24 September 2013) fining loans company Jala Transport Ltd £5,000, following the theft of an unencrypted portable hard drive containing financial details of its 250 customers.
The United Kingdom (UK) Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advised that the Croydon Magistrates Court has ordered that former Barclays employee Jennifer Addo pay a £2,990 fine for 23 offences under s. 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (UK), as well as a £120 victim surcharge and £250 in prosecution costs, relating to her unlawful access to a customer's details on 22 occasions during a three-month period.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (9)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (33)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (1)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (0)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (4)
- Privacy & Data Protection (14)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)