United Kingdom (UK)-based bank Barclays has advised (9 February 2014) that it has notified regulators including the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) of a consumer data breach that "appears to be criminal action". According to Daily Mail, the files on at least 2,000 Barclays customers have been leaked, as evidenced by portable data storage device handed to the Daily Mail's offices by an anonymous informant.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available DoJ criminal division Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman's testimony (4 February 2014) before the US Senate Committee on the Judiciary (the Committee) for its hearing on Privacy in the Digital Age: Preventing Data Breaches and Combating Cybercrime.
LThe Senate of the US state of California has approved Senate Bill No. 383 - Credit cards: personal information (amended 28 January 2014) to protect consumers' personal information.
The United States (US) Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has released a Statement (31 January 2014) marking its 50th data security settlement. The terms of the milestone settlement are set out in Agreement containing consent order (undated), which proposes prohibitions and other requirements of California-based GMR Transcription Services Inc (GMR).
Whitehouse.gov has made available its blog post Big Data and the Future of Privacy (23 January 2014), which advises that the White House, at the request of United States President Barack Obama, is to conduct a "comprehensive review" of various elements of privacy and data protection.
Apple Inc (Apple) has released Update on National Security and Law Enforcement Orders (27 January 2014) (the Update), which provides data to replace the United States (US)-specific data contained in Apple's Report on Government Information Requests (5 November 2013) (the Report).
Privacy advocates have expressed concern about a lack of awareness among Australian businesses regarding amendments to the Privacy Act 1988 No. 119 (Cth) (the Privacy Act), which will commence on 12 March 2014. Capgemini Australia testing services director Shane Lonergan reportedly estimates that "[50%] of organisations in Australia don't even know about the legislative changes".
Data Privacy Day is celebrated on Jan 28 every year. Why not take this opportunity to strengthen your Data Privacy and Data Protection program? Here are some program elements to consider:
Google Inc (Google) has withdrawn two third-party-developed software extensions for its Chrome web browser from the Chrome web store after the extensions were updated so as to breach Google's terms of service.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (37)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (40)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (16)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)