The United Kingdom (UK) Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has made available guidance (undated) for organisations on ensuring that their data protection policies account for workers' use of personal mobile devices such as smartphones for work purposes.
The United Kingdom (UK) Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advised that the City of London Magistrates Court has convicted First Financial (FF) and its sole director Hamed Shabani under ss. 17 and 61 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (UK) respectively for failing to register that FF was processing personal information.
The United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has made available a Monetary Penalty Notice (24 September 2013) fining loans company Jala Transport Ltd £5,000, following the theft of an unencrypted portable hard drive containing financial details of its 250 customers.
The United Kingdom (UK) Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advised that the Croydon Magistrates Court has ordered that former Barclays employee Jennifer Addo pay a £2,990 fine for 23 offences under s. 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (UK), as well as a £120 victim surcharge and £250 in prosecution costs, relating to her unlawful access to a customer's details on 22 occasions during a three-month period.
The Romanian National Supervisory Authority for Personal Data Processing (NSAPDP) has advised that it has denied a request to conduct video surveillance of employees in the offices where they work.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has advised that it has reached a settlement agreement (undated) with SecurView camera marketer TRENDnet Inc (TRENDnet) over allegations that the company's video cameras, designed to allow consumers to monitor their homes remotely, "had faulty software that left them open to online viewing, and in some instances listening, by anyone with the cameras' Internet address".
Marketing technology firm Acxiom Corporation (Acxiom) has drawn criticism from privacy advocates with the launch of its AboutTheData.com website that aims to "provide people with both visibility and control over the data that has been collected about them".
Former Australian Privacy Commissioner Malcolm Crompton has warned that Australian retailers implementing certain United States (US)-developed tracking systems to collect data about customers' shopping habits could be in breach of the Privacy Act 1988 No. 119 (Cth).
The Dutch Data Protection Authority (Dutch DPA) has made available a Report (July 2013 - Dutch language version available only), which sets out the findings of a Dutch DPA investigation into smart television manufacturer TP Vision's "Philips Smart TV" product.
Judge Richard Seeborg in the United States (US) District Court for the Northern District of California has approved a US$20 million settlement by Facebook of a class action which claimed that certain advertisements displayed on Facebook's social network service breached users' privacy.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (37)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)