The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced that the Federal Court of Australia (FCA) has handed down its decisions in relation to ACCC allegations that court enforceable antitrust undertakings from grocery and fuel retail groups Coles Group (further information) and Woolworths (further information) (both dated 6 December 2013) were breached by their offers of certain fuel retail discounts.
The European Commission (EC) has announced that it has handed down more than €30.7 million in fines after finding that four entities "participated in a cartel to coordinate prices for steel abrasives in Europe for over six years". According to the EC, Ervin, Winoa, Metalltechnik Schmidt and Eisenwerk Würth "had contacts on a bilateral and multilateral basis to discuss key price components of their sales in the whole European Economic Area (EEA)".
The European Commission (EC) has announced that it has handed down more than €301.6 million in fines after finding that "11 producers of underground and submarine high voltage power cables operated a cartel" between 1999 and 2009.
Germany's competition regulator the Bundeskartellamt (BKA) has announced fines further to those imposed in January 2014 (further information) in relation to "illegal price fixing agreements for beer".
The European Commission (EC) has announced that it carried out "unannounced inspections" of the premises of unnamed companies in the automotive exhaust systems industry on 25 March 2014 as part of its investigation into suspected cartel activity and similar practices.
The New Zealand (NZ) Commerce Commission has welcomed the High Court's decision to fine forest products company Carter Holt Harvey NZ$1.85 million for price fixing in the Auckland commercial timber market. According to the Commerce Commission, Carter Holt Harvey "entered into an understanding with [Fletcher Distribution (Placemakers)], in late 2012, to fix prices for the supply of structural timber to commercial customers in Auckland".
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Chilean corporation Compañía Sud Americana de Vapores S.A. (CSAV) has agreed to plead guilty to one charge of "[engaging] in a conspiracy to suppress and eliminate competition by allocating customers and routes, rigging bids and fixing prices for the sale of international ocean shipping services of roll-on, roll-off cargo to and from the United States and elsewhere".
Germany's competition regulator the Bundeskartellamt (BKA) has announced that it has fined the following wallpaper industry entities, as well as associated individuals, a total of approximately €17 million for concluding price-fixing agreements:
The European Commission (EC) has announced that it has rendered legally binding certain undertakings by Visa Europe to "facilitate cross-border competition".
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that a former executive of Toyota Group subsidiary Denso Corp (Denso) has agreed to plead guilty to obstruction of justice in relation to a DoJ antitrust division investigation and will serve a one-year prison term.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (36)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)