The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced that the Federal Court of Australia has handed down its judgment in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Flight Centre Limited (No 2)  FCA 1313 (6 December 2013).
The European Commission (EC) has announced that it has fined eight international financial institutions a total of €1,712,468,000 after finding that the banks participated in "illegal cartels in markets for financial derivatives covering the European Economic Area (EEA)", thereby breaching the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and the EEA Agreement.
United States (US)-based Bank of America Corporation (BoA) has agreed to pay US$20 million to settle a class action which alleges that BoA manipulated municipal securities markets in breach of antitrust law, resulting in uncompetitive interest rates for the plaintiffs.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Toyo Tire & Rubber Co Ltd (Toyo) has agreed to plead guilty and pay a US$120 million criminal fine for participating in two separate conspiracies to engage in price-fixing. According to the DoJ, the charges related to the sale of components installed in cars sold in various places including the US, in breach of the Sherman Act.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that three executives of Japanese automotive parts company Takata Corporation have agreed to plead guilty, pay criminal fines totalling US$60,000 and serve jail time for their contribution to the price fixing of seatbelts installed in cars sold in the US.
The European Commission (EC) has made available Competition in the online world, a transcript of a public lecture delivered by EC vice president responsible for competition policy Joaquín Almunia at the London School of Economics on 11 November 2013.
United States (US) Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer has announced that the US Department of Justice (DoJ) has filed a proposed settlement with US Airways Group and AMR Corporation which, subject to court approval, would resolve a DoJ antitrust suit that challenges a proposed merger between US Airways Group-operated airline US Airways and AMR Corporation-operated airline American Airlines.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced that the decision of the Federal Court of Australia in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Koyo Australia Pty Ltd  FCA 1051 (18 October 2013) requires ball and roller bearing supplier Koyo Australia Pty Ltd (Koyo) to pay a penalty of A$2 million for cartel conduct that breached the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 1974 No. 51 (Cth).
Germany's competition regulator, the Bundeskartellamt (BKA), has announced that it has concluded its proceedings in relation to a porcelain manufacturing cartel by fining the firms Porzellanfabrik Christian Seltmann and KAHLA/Thüringen Porzellan GmbH, the ceramic industry association (Verband der Keramischen Industrie) and two individuals a total of almost €900,000.
The Senate of France has made available a Bill (French language version available only) that has been referred to its culture, education and communication committee, having been passed by the National Assembly on 3 October 2013. According to The Guardian, the Bill proposes to amend Act No. 81-766 of 10 August 1981 (French language version available only), also known as the Lang Law, that regulates book pricing.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (34)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (9)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (33)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (1)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (0)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (4)
- Privacy & Data Protection (14)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)