The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Hewlett-Packard subsidiary HP Russia is to pay a number of penalties totalling more than US$108 million after pleading guilty to "bribing Russian government officials to secure a large technology contract with ... the Russian Federation".
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ), the US Attorney's Office for the District of Connecticut and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have jointly announced that William Pomponi has pleaded guilty for "his participation in a scheme to pay bribes to foreign government officials".
Mark Jackson, the former chief executive officer (CEO) of oil and gas services company Noble, and a Noble subsidiary director James Ruehlen have agreed to settle claims that they took part in a bribery scheme aimed at obtaining import permits for oil rigs in Nigeria.
Hewlett-Packard Development Company (HP) has announced that it is to pay approximately US$108 million to settle charges levelled against HP by the following United States (US) authorities in relation to alleged breaches of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (the FCPA):
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that British Virgin Islands-based international petroleum company PetroTiger Ltd's (PetroTiger) former co-chief executive officer (CEO) Knut Hammarskjold has pleaded guilty to conspiring to "pay bribes to foreign government officials and to defraud PetroTiger".
Metals producer and developer Alcoa Inc (Alcoa) has announced that it has resolved the so-called Alba matter under the United States (US) Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (the FCPA) with both the US Department of Justice (DoJ) and the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) "regarding certain legacy alumina contracts with Aluminium Bahrain BSC (Alba)".
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that Germany-based international engineering and services company Bilfinger SE (Bilfinger) has agreed to pay US$32 million to settle charges that it breached the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by bribing Nigerian government officials to "obtain and retain contracts related to the Eastern Gas Gathering System (EGGS) project, which was valued at approximately [US]$387 million".
The United States (US) Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has announced that oilfield services company Weatherford International (Weatherford) has been charged with breaching the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (the FCPA) by "authorizing bribes and improper travel and entertainment for foreign officials in the Middle East and Africa to win business, including kickbacks in Iraq to obtain United Nations Oil-for-Food contracts" and that Weatherford will pay over US$250 million to settle the charges.
For a long time, FCPA had been the major – almost exclusive - anti-bribery law that US companies had on their anti-bribery radar lists. Training programs, policies and procedures were specifically tailored to address its specific requirements, especially with respect to dealing with government officials. Even for global companies, putting FCPA anti-bribery risk mitigation processes in place meant ensuring compliance with major anti-bribery laws.
The United States (US) Department of Justice (DoJ) has made available a speech delivered by US Deputy Attorney General James Cole at a conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (the FCPA) on 19 November 2013.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (36)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (39)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)