The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that GlaxoSmithKline Vaccines (GSK Vaccines) has agreed to pay US$172,900 to settle allegations that it breached the Clean Air Act (the CAA) by "fail[ing] to submit a risk management plan at its facility ... in Hamilton, Montana".
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has announced that it concluded an "enhanced adviser monitoring program" for Australian financial services licensee Professional Investment Services Pty Ltd (PIS).
Read this whitepaper to gain insight into the risks inherent in day-to-day settings that are conducive to exchanges of competitively sensitive information including:
- When is it good to share information?
- Why is this subject so problematic?
- Why has the topic become increasingly important?
- How Trade Association meetings can be a breeding ground for such activity
- A 7-step compliance checklist of practical measures companies can take to manage the risk of information exchange
Read the HFM Magazine article, featuring SAI Global's COO, GRC Solutions - Jan Kruger.
Managing low-dollar, high-volume claim denials associated with outpatient procedures is a challenge for many hospitals because of the expense involved in manually reviewing such denials. These denials are often the source of “hidden loss” for hospitals. For some hospitals, the most practical, cost-effective approach for managing low-dollar, high-volume claim denials will include the use of automated systems to monitor and highlight denials and expose trends.
Are your employees lying about telling the truth? The unique challenges of ethics and compliance measurement27 Mar 2014 Written by James D. Meacham
The primary goal of most Chief Compliance Officers is to decrease compliance risk by increasing ethical behavior. One of the most difficult questions in pursuit of that goal is how to measure progress. Unfortunately, ethical behavior can’t be directly measured, so the measurements compliance officers rely on are actually proxies for ethical behavior. For compliance programs that have reached a degree of maturity, surveys are among the most commonly used broad-based tool for measuring employee knowledge, attitudes, and buy-in regarding compliance and ethics.
The United Kingdom Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has made available a Final Notice (19 December 2013) fining Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc (JLT Group) subsidiary JLT Specialty Ltd (JLTSL) £1.876 million for its failure to properly deploy its risk management checks in relation to its business with foreign entities over a period of three years.
Many regulations have extended compliance programs beyond the borders of individual companies to related third parties. In particular, the supply chain has been subject to additional rules and reporting and disclosure requirements. Compliance officers must be wondering “where do I start?”
Mary Frances Monroe
Senior Director - Trelient Risk Advisors, LLC
Carol Stern, B.A, FLMI, AIRC, ACS
Senior Consultant - First Consulting Operational Compliance Practice
Omnibus, Business Associates and Breaches: Innovative New Approaches for Identifying and Mitigating Risk02 Aug 2013
Cliff Baker, Managing Partner - Meditology
Tyrone Jeffress, Manager - Meditology
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (32)
- Anti-Money Laundering (1)
- Authors (36)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Culture (28)
- Careful Communication & Proper Use of Computers (3)
- Code of Conduct (3)
- Competition (8)
- Compliance & Ethics Learning (1)
- Compliance & Ethics Risk Management (11)
- Compliance Programs -- In Practice (39)
- Confidentiality & Intellectual Property (5)
- Conflicts of Interest (2)
- Consumer Protection (0)
- Corporate Responsibility & Sustainability (1)
- Employment & Workplace Issues (12)
- Environment, Health & Safety (9)
- European Perspective (4)
- Financial Integrity (1)
- Government Contracting (6)
- GRC Technology (0)
- Information Security (2)
- Insider Trading (5)
- Other (3)
- Privacy & Data Protection (15)
- Records Management (0)
- Respect in the Workplace (0)
- Risk Management (8)
- Providing employees with a framework for ethical… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:36:42 Improving Organizational Behavior (Expert Commentaries)
- Many companies find sexual harassment to be… Written by Jamie McKillop 2012-01-18 01:35:35 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)
- Vignettes and enactments are effective tools in… Written by Mary Snyder 2012-01-12 17:15:57 Employment Law Regarding Harassment (Expert Commentaries)