The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has announced that it has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China (MOFCOM) to provide for "increased communication and cooperation between [the ACCC and MOFCOM] on mergers which affect both the Australian and Chinese markets".
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that a federal grand jury has indicted automotive parts manufacturer Tokai Rika executive Hitoshi Hirano.
An unnamed agribusiness investment management company (the Company) is considering taking legal action since learning that an email inquiry from a potential investor seeking sensitive financial information about the Company was in fact sent from a computer owned by competitor Macquarie Agricultural Funds Management (MAFM) using a fake email address.
Read this whitepaper to gain insight into the risks inherent in day-to-day settings that are conducive to exchanges of competitively sensitive information including:
- When is it good to share information?
- Why is this subject so problematic?
- Why has the topic become increasingly important?
- How Trade Association meetings can be a breeding ground for such activity
- A 7-step compliance checklist of practical measures companies can take to manage the risk of information exchange
The Federal Court of Australia (FCA) has handed down its decision in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v NSK Australia Pty Ltd  FCA 453 (13 May 2014). According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), ball bearings manufacturer NSK Australia has been fined A$3 million "for its involvement in cartel conduct in relation to the price of bearings in Australia".
Online television and film subscription service Netflix has met with the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to express its concerns regarding the regulation of online data flows. Reportedly, the discussions have taken place since Netflix agreed to pay fees to certain internet service providers in order to secure the delivery of their online video streams across those providers' networks.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has announced that online commerce platform provider eBay has agreed to settle allegations that "senior executives and directors of eBay and [software firm] Intuit entered into an [anticompetitive] agreement ... that prevented each firm from recruiting employees from the other and that prohibited eBay from hiring Intuit employees that approached eBay".
The European Commission (EC) has made available frequently asked questions (29 April 2014) regarding its recent decisions on patents that are critical to the smartphone and tablet technology market.
The European Commission (the Commission) has announced it's decision that Motorola Mobility's (Motorola) injunction application against Apple based on a smartphone standard essential patent (SEP) constituted an abuse of dominant position. The Commission found that since Motorola had committed to license its SEP on "fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory" (FRAND) terms, and where Apple had agreed to take a licence and be bound by FRAND terms, it was abusive for Motorola to both seek and enforce an injunction against Apple in such circumstances.
EnergySolutions has announced it has filed a lawsuit in the British High Court against the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) after it lost out on a US$12 billion tender to decommission the country's oldest nuclear sites.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (134)
- Anti-Money Laundering (123)
- Business Ethics and Corporate Culture (170)
- Careful Communication and Proper Use of Computers (15)
- Code of Conduct (6)
- Competition (212)
- Confidentiality and Intellectual Property (35)
- Conflicts of Interest (19)
- Consumer Protection (371)
- Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability (203)
- Employment and Workplace Issues (362)
- Environment, Health & Safety (166)
- Financial Integrity (222)
- Government Contracting (24)
- Information Security (45)
- Insider Trading (93)
- Other (2)
- Privacy and Data Protection (210)
- Records Management (18)
- Respect in the Workplace (6)